While he was in town, Men’s Folio managed to catch a moment with celebrity chef Luke Mangan of Salt Grill & Sky Bar in ION Orchard, who was kind enough to supply us with a quick recipe perfect for the busy businessperson.
Barbecued Prawns with Avocado & Mango Salsa by Celebrity Chef Luke Mangan (Serves 4)
16 raw king prawns (shrimps), peeled and de-veined, but with tails left intact
A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
¼ iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced
1 avocado, diced
Vietnamese mint leaves, to garnish
2 ripe mangoes
¼ red onion, very finely diced
1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
2 tablespoons Vietnamese mint leaves, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons coriander (cilantro) leaves, roughly chopped
1½ tablespoons chardonnay vinegar or white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
For the mango salsa:
- Peel the mangoes, then cut off the cheeks and as much flesh as possible off the stones.
- Dice the mango flesh and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining salsa ingredients, season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix lightly.
For the prawns:
- Place the prawns on a tray. Season and drizzle with just enough olive oil to coat the prawns.
- Place the prawns on a hot barbecue or frying pan and cook for 2 minutes on one side.
- Turn the prawns over and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove and rest on a plate for another 2 minutes.
Add the lettuce to the mango salsa and place on a platter or four individual serving plates.
Scatter the prawns and avocado on top.
Garnish with Vietnamese mint, drizzle with a little more olive oil and serve.
Read the full feature of celebrity chef Luke Mangan in the May issue of Men’s Folio.